Purpose of Employee Resource Groups
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) provide forums for employees to gather and share ideas about matters that affect their professional development and work at Whatcom Community College (WCC). WCC administration is supportive of a system of Employee Resource Groups that contribute to the following:
- Foster employee development
- Contribute to the College’s commitment to advancing social equity, while challenging systems of power, privilege and inequities
- Strengthen networking and cohesiveness across the College, and promote career and professional development
- Provide important feedback to management and assist with efforts to attract and retain highly qualified candidates for employment at WCC
Active Employee Resource Groups
This group is a support group and learning community for WCC Jewish employees (and friends) that advances equity, creates religious and cultural awareness, serves as a resource for employees and the company, and enhances overall diversity.
The People of Color Collective will serve as a network and resource for professionals of color at Whatcom Community College. This group will work to build an atmosphere that fosters professional growth and development for its members. In addition, the POCC will focus on building and developing community and on partnering with the institution to play an active role in advancing equity, a core theme of the College’s strategic plan. The overarching goal of the POCC is to create a community which is culturally responsive in its practices.
To join or learn more, contact Nadine Alvarado Hensley at email@example.com.
This Employee Resource Group (ERG) works to create an inclusive environment for all African American/Black employees through offerings of educational opportunities, networking, cultural events, and social gatherings. Aligned with the Advancing Equity core theme of the Strategic Plan, this ERG is hoping to aid in the retention of diverse students, faculty, staff, and administrators. We hope to accomplish this through peer mentoring, comraderie, and community engagement.
To join or learn more, contact Guava Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whatcom White Womxn for Racial Justice is a learning community that advances equity and builds community by educating ourselves on white supremacy, white identity history and the intersections of whiteness and womxnhood. Considering white womxn are the demographic majority of teachers in a racist education system, we seek to address and dismantle white supremacy within ourselves and on WCC’s campus. We practice this by:
- Educating ourselves to be better educators and colleagues
- Learning skills to interrupt racism at WCC
- Sharing resources with each other
- Listening to the voices and supporting the work of people of color
- Learning together what it means to be a white womxn
To join or learn more, contact Anna Wolff at email@example.com.