WCC's physical campus is closed, online services continue. Spring quarter starts online April 15. For the latest COVID-19 information and resources, please visit

Placement Evidence

Depending on the requirements you meet, there are three different ways to place into your first math class at WCC.

  1. Use Academic Records
    If you have a Whatcom County high school transcript from within the last 1-2 years, or a previous college transcript which includes math coursework, speak to an advisor to get placed appropriately. Recent Whatcom county high school students may also place into their WCC math class using high school transcripts. Please see an advisor for more information.

  2. Use a Previous Test Score
    If you have a record of your score from having taken the Smarter Balanced exam, an AP or IB math exam, or CLEP math exam, speak to an advisor and get placed based on your score. Also, see more information about credit for prior learning.

  3. Take the Math Placement Test

    All students can be placed by taking the placement test here at WCC.

Placement Test

The Math Department uses ALEKS to place students who aren't able to use another placement method from the list above. ALEKS includes online math review to help students prepare before taking the placement test. While the preparation component can be done at home, the attempt that will be used for placement must be proctored on campus. To schedule an appointment or for more information on the placement process, please visit the testing center website. 

Homeschool Students

What you need:

  • Transcript showing the grade(s) for the full class
  • Name of curriculum or book (i.e. Saxon Algebra 2), including the publication year
  • What part(s)/chapter(s) of the curriculum/book were covered
  • Send the above information to You will be informed of the placement after it has been determined. Students can challenge their placement with the Math Placement Test.