American Mathematical Association
of Two-Year Colleges
Student Mathematics League
The American Mathematical Association of Two Year Colleges (AMATYC) sponsors a national mathematics competition for students in Community and Technical Colleges. The competition consists of 2 one-hour exams (fall and spring) that cover material at the precalculus level.
- Next competition (Round 1):
To be announced; the March 12th session has been cancelled in line with the college's move to online course delivery and reduction of social contact. Please contact Will Webber for details; contact details are in the box to the right of this page. The schedule will be updated here as soon as it is set.
- 60 minute, timed test
- 20 multiple choice, precalculus-level questions (MATH& 141/142)
- Our team score is the sum of the 5 best individual efforts.
- In 2000-2001, WCC placed 9th in the nation (Hall of Fame).
- Scoring: +2 points for each correct answer, -1/2 point for each incorrect answer (0 points for questions left blank).
- TI-82/83/84/85/86/89 calculators are allowed (TI-92's are not).
- Any student who can beat Professor Will Webber’s score will get a 3D printed object as a prize!
The highest scoring WCC student will be honored at the annual Honors and Awards Ceremony in June and have their name inscribed on the plaque on the first floor of Laidlaw Center.
The grand prize for the qualified individual with the highest total score nationally on the two exams is a $3,000 scholarship to be used to continue his or her education at an accredited four-year institution. In the case of a tie for the grand prize, the scholarship will be evenly divided. The top ten ranking individuals nationally will receive appropriate prizes of a mathematical nature, as will the five highest ranking members of the first place team. The five highest ranking teams, as well as the team and individual champions from each of AMATYC's eight regions, will receive plaques at the following year’s AMATYC annual conference..
Any WCC student is welcome, even those not enrolled in a math class. This event is absolutely FREE.
WCC Top Scorers:
- 2017-2018: Hung Le
- 2016-2017: Thu Ton
- 2015-2016: Christopher Pyles
- 2014-2015: Yang Li
- 2013-2014: Yang Li
- 2012-2013: Calob Symonds
- 2011-2012: Calob Symonds