Applying to the massage therapist program
Admission into the core massage therapist program is by special application. Selection is first come, first served for complete applications. The sooner a complete application is submitted, the more likely the applicant will be selected into the program. There are 18 spots available for each cohort.
Applications are open as follows:
- Fall 2020 start: Applications will be accepted beginning Feb. 1, 2020. The deadline has been extended to July 31, 2020 for complete application and all related materials.
You must complete the following steps by the program application deadline to be considered for program acceptance:
STEP 1 - Apply to Whatcom Community College
Students must be enrolled at WCC and have an active student identification number (SID) in order to apply to the massage program and pay related fees. You must be at least 18 years old by the start of massage program classes to be accepted into the massage therapist program.
Apply to WCC online or request a WCC application by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone (360) 383-3001, or in person at the entry/advising office, LDC 116. Once you receive your SID number, proceed to STEP 2.
STEP 2 - Obtain and complete massage therapist selective entry application forms
Download the Application for Selective Entry: Massage Therapist Program or request by email at email@example.com or by phone at 360-383-3030.
STEP 3 - Pay application fee
Students must pay the application fee ($25) on or before the application deadline. ***See below for payment instructions.***
STEP 4 - Submit massage therapist application form and supporting materials by the application deadline
Submit the completed massage therapist application form and all required supporting documentation in one complete packet. All materials must be received by the WCC Massage Therapist Program, HPEC 211, by the deadline. Your packet should include:
- Completed Application Form with Experience/Education Summary
- Completed Application Checklist
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges where you earned credits that may apply to the massage therapist program
- Three (3) completed Student Recommendation forms
- Three (3) completed Experience Verification forms - given the current "Stay home, stay healthy" order, acceptable experiences may include completion of an online continuing education class and/or an online interview with a licensed massage therapist
- Completed Health form
- Receipt for the $11 purchase of a Washington State Patrol background check through the WCC Business Office. ***See below for payment instructions.***
Background check information
Clinical placements, employment, and licensure in a healthcare field often require a background check. WCC will conduct a Washington State Patrol background check on massage therapist applicants. Results of the background check will be given to the massage therapist program coordinator. Students with a negative finding will be required to meet with the program coordinator prior to admittance to discuss possible options. Background check results for program applicants are considered valid for a period of six months only. Entrance and acceptance into the program is contingent upon background checks.
While in-person services are temporarily not available on Whatcom's campus, fees may be paid by mail. Mail one check for $36 ($25 application fee and $11 background check) made payable to "Whatcom Community College" to:
WCC Business Office
ATTN: Massage Application Fees
237 W. Kellogg Rd.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Include a completed application fee payment form (page 2 of the application packet) with your check. Note your SID number and "Massage program" in the memo line of your check.