The International High School Completion (IHSC) Program allows international students who are motivated and mature to enroll at Whatcom Community College and earn both a Washington State high school diploma and an associate's (university transfer) degree at the same time. IHSC program students save time and money by completing two programs at once.


How does the International High School Completion Program work?

There are four requirements for completing the Washington high school diploma

  • Students will develop an educational plan with an international student advisor when they arrive at Whatcom
  • Students will complete required classes for a high school diploma and an associate's degree at the same time with guidance from International High School Completion and international student advisors 
  • Students will complete ACT or SAT testing and earn minimum score requirements (as set by Washington State Office Superintendent of Public Instruction)


How long does it take to complete the IHSC program?

The associate’s degree is completed with 90 credits, which most students complete in 2 years

  • The high school diploma is completed with 100-120 credits
  • The associate’s degree and high school diploma require almost the same exact classes
  • Most students can complete an associate’s degree and a high school diploma in about 2 years and 3 months;  one additional quarter (3 months) from completing only the associate's degree
  • Note that students who don’t have college-level English will need ESL classes before starting the IHSC program 


What are the requirements to be admitted?

Students must:

  • Be 16 years old or older upon the start of studies
  • Be an international student (entering the US on a student visa)
  • Have completed at least 10th grade (or equivalent in home country)  
  • Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA (or equivalent in home country)
  • Not have already received a high school diploma or equivalent in their home country or in the US


Who enrolls in IHSC?

  • Students who have finished at least grade 10 in their home country and want to start their college study in the US before graduating from high school
  • Hard-working, mature students who are academically and emotionally prepared for college


Where will I live if I’m part of the program?

  • Students who are under 18 years old are required to live in a homestay
  • Students who are 18 years old or older are allowed to live in a homestay or an apartment 


PLEASE NOTE:  Students who will be 21 years old when they complete an associate’s degree automatically receive a Washington State high school diploma. IHSC Program is not required.