Summer 2020 support for online learning
- Remote tutoring by WCC's Math Center, Writing Center and One-on-One Tutoring
- Online tutoring in many subjects (eTutoringOnline.org)
- Library research help 24/7 (Ask-a-Librarian)
If you didn't see these in your email, catch up with them here.
Important dates; Logging into your class; Map out your quarter; Using a mobile device; Computer skills you'll need; Canvas Student Guide; Resources for online learners; Contact us
Important dates; Logging into your class; How's your class going?; For your eyes only; Using Zoom; Canvas Student Guide; Resources for online learners; Contact us
Important dates; How's your class going?; Laptops, headsets and WiFi hotspots still available for checkout; Learning math online; Canvas Student Guide; Resources for online learners; Contact us
How's your class going?; Nobody told me!; Microsoft 365; The Learning Center SU20; Resources for online learners; Contact us
A quick nudge about registration; How's your class going?; Anti-procrastination strategies; More information about tutoring; Thinking ahead to the end of the quarter; If you need to withdraw from your class; Resources for online learners; Contact us
Be an effective online learner
- Online learning FAQs
- Be a successful online learner (tips from SmarterMeasure)
- Tips for learning math from the book
- I can't log into Canvas.
Your username is your Whatcom student ID number. The default password is your last name, all lower case, eight letters long. Skip any hyphens, and repeat from the beginning or cut off short as necessary. If you were a student at Whatcom a few years ago, try using just six letters. You may still have an old password from back then.
- My course doesn't appear in the Dashboard or Courses tab.
Go into the Courses tab and click the link labeled All Courses. See if your course is listed as "not published." If that's still the case when the quarter has started, send us a heads-up.
- Some items don't work or don't show up in my course.
If you're using the Canvas app on a mobile device, try opening an internet browser and logging into the Canvas website instead. If you're already getting into Canvas from the internet on any kind of device, try using a different browser.
- I can't figure out how to use Canvas to see my unofficial transcript or register for classes.
Those don't happen in Canvas. You'll need to log into MyWCC instead.
For complicated or persistent problems, contact the Student Help Desk by email or call 360.383.3410.
On-campus orientation to online learning:
We're sorry, but all on-campus orientation sessions had to be cancelled for summer quarter.
Your courses are for your eyes only.
Avoid giving anyone else access to your Canvas, WAMAP, or other online coursework accidentally or on purpose.
- After you log in for the first time, change your password. If you change it to your student network account password, it'll be easier to remember.
- Protect your username and password. That unique combination lets you -- and only you -- access your courses.
- If you use a campus computer, log out of your course before you leave.
- Some courses, particularly math courses, may require proctored testing where we'll ask you to verify your identity.
- Remember that the student code of conduct, including the section on academic integrity, applies to you no matter what the format of your courses.