Are you ready for Wave Orientation?
Double-check your readiness by reviewing the following checklist:
- Apply to Whatcom Community College.
- Complete the FAFSA/WASFA or develop strategies to pay for your classes each quarter. If you need help finding funding or scholarships, visit our Financial Aid department's getting started website here.
- Set up your MyWCC. Save your username, the password you create, and the Wi-Fi login instructions you receive.
Where do I go?
Park in any non-visitor labeled parking spot. Parking is free at Whatcom Community College. Head over to the Syre Student Center to check in and receive your welcome packet. Staff will direct you from there.
What should I expect?
You should expect lots of warm and welcoming faces to get you started on the right foot! Orientation takes approximately 3 hours. When you arrive you will check in, receive a Whatcom drawstring backpack and Whatcom athletics reusable water bottle. You will also be given a folder to store any handouts you receive. You will then be sorted into a group with other New Students.
This group will be lead on a 90 minute walking tour of campus, so be sure to be prepared for any weather with sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and/or a rain coat. The campus tour is quite long, so if you need accommodations please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your group will then do a roughly 60 minute strengths discovery session run by WCC staff and faculty.
Finally your group will have the opportunity to learn about the many student engagement opportunities on campus, as well as meet with instructors to learn more about what will be expected in the classroom. These two sessions are very informal, and are designed for you to get your questions answered.
If your orientation session concludes before 5pm you will then have the opportunity to visit any office you identified as useful on the tour, and pick up your ID card.Bring a government-issued ID such as driver’s license, state identification card, or passport so that you can get your Orca Card. Also, bring a list of your textbooks so you can buy them at the bookstore!
- Complete any remaining steps above by visiting the appropriate offices after your orientation session ends. This might include placement or financial aid next steps to be ready for your first day at WCC.
- Make sure you can log into Whatcom's Canvas page as many of your instructors will use this tool for classes.
- Prepare to attend WCC’s Welcome Events hosted at the start of each quarter. View WCC’s Events Calendar for details.